Logo: University of Southern California

Frequently Asked Questions

For information contact the following:

General information about the degree programs - the graduate student handbook and the catalog. PLEASE READ BOTH BEFORE COMING IN FOR ADVISEMENT.

How to Start Research in Computer Networks

Discussion of your Screening Exam - Your advisor

Advisement for classes -

-Ph.D. students see your individual advisors. If you do not have an advisor, please
contact one of the faculty in your research area about providing academic advice until you
choose a permanent advisor. (See reverse side.)
-M.S. students see either Prof. Ung or any of the Computer Engineering faculty,
DURING POSTED OFFICE HOURS. The list of posted hours is available in the EE-Systems
Department office, and posted ouside the Computer Engineering division office.
If you cannot be on campus during posted hours, please call a faculty member to make an
appointment before coming to campus.

Lab assistantships - Your Advisor

Research assistantships - apply to the department, then consult with faculty in your area of interest to determine open positions

Teaching assistantships - apply to the department

Ph.D. desk space availability - Your advisor

M.S. degree check problems - Margie Berti in OHE 330G; she will contact one of the CENG faculty directly to resolve the problem.

Questions about courses - see the course monitor (list posted outside the Computer Engineering division office)

Questions about a specific offering a course - see the course instuctor. Off-campus instructors can be reached through the division office.

Undergraduate degree issues (BSCECS or BSEE (computers) only) - Prof. Silvester

Academic problems - Diane Demetras

Personal problems - The student counseling center in UVI Suite K, or academically related, Diane Demetras

Practical training certification - M.S. & Ph.D. students, see Margie Berti in OHE 330G

Ph.D. committees, screening, qualification and final defense procedures - Graduate School or Diane Demetras (She will refer them to an adviser).

Women's issues - The office of Kathleen Bartle-Schulweis in STU 303, X06317.