Dr. Shel Swenson is a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Electrical Engineering Department and Manager of the Future Computing Platforms S2I2 Conceptualization Project.My research interests are at the intersection of mathematics, computer science, and biology. Specifically, I am interested in using discrete mathematics to help answer questions in biology.
My Ph.D and initial postdoctoral work, both with Tandy Warnow at The University of Texas at Austin, focused on designing methods for estimating large-scale evolutionary histories. Subsequently, as a postdoctoral fellow in the School of Mathematics at the Georgia Institute of Technology I worked with Christine Heitsch and her students on problems in mathematical and computational biology, specifically RNA secondary structure prediction.
- E. Rogers, M.S. Swenson, and C.E. Heitsch. (In preparation) Profiling RNA Secondary Structures.
- Z.Sukos, M.S. Swenson, J. Kjems, and C.E. Heitsch. 2013. Towards an understanding of SHAPE-directed RNA structure prediction accuracy. Nucl. Acids Res. (Advanced Access 10.1093/nar/gks1283)
- M.S. Swenson, J. Anderson, A. Ash, P. Gaurav, Z.Sukos, D.A. Bader, S.C. Harvey, and C.E. Heitsch. 2012. GTfold: Enabling parallel RNA secondary structure prediction on multi-core desktops. BMC Research Notes. 5(1):341.
- M.S. Swenson, R. Suri, C.R. Linder, and T. Warnow. 2012. SuperFine: a fast and accurate supertree method. Systematic Biology. 61(2): 214-227.
- M.S. Swenson, R. Suri, C.R. Linder, and T. Warnow. 2011. An Experimental Study of Quartets MaxCut and Other Supertree Methods. Algorithms in Molecular Biology, 6:7 (19 April 2011), special issue for best papers of WABI (Workshop for Algorithms in Bioinformatics) 2010.
- M.S. Swenson, R. Suri, C.R. Linder and T. Warnow. 2010. An Experimental Study of Quartets MaxCut and Other Supertree Methods. In Proceedings of WABI 2010, Liverpool, UK. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNBI #6293).
- M.Shel Swenson, Francois Barbancon, Randy Linder, Tandy Warnow. 2010. A simulation study comparing supertree and combined analysis methods using SMIDGen. Algorithms for Molecular Biology, 5:8 (4 January 2010), special issue of selected papers from WABI 2009.
- M.S. Swenson, F. Barbancon, C.R. Linder, and T. Warnow. 2009. A Simulation Study Comparing Supertree and Combined Analysis Methods Using SMIDGen. In Proceedings of WABI 2009, Philadelphia, USA. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNBI #5724).
- S. Grunewald, M. Steel and M.S. Swenson 2007. Closure operations in phylogenetics. Mathematical Biosciences, 208, 521--537.